Last Updated May 25, 2018
In order for Planmycollege to provide services and specifically the Planmycollege services outlined in the Terms of Service including but not limited to the website, Planmycollege.com and family of websites and or blogs owned by Planmycollege, we may store, collect, and process various forms of information. This site in its entirety is owned by Planmycollege, Inc., a Delaware corporation, doing business as “Planmycollege.” Planmycollege ("Planmycollege," "we" or "us") provides an online service. The terms "you" and "user" means all individuals and entities that access the Service.
What Information We Collect About Students
As described above, we collect personal information from students to help parents manage their family’s educational and/or college application goals.
Planmycollege provides services to users throughout the world. If you use our services in the United States or in the European Union or elsewhere, Planmycollege, Inc. is the data controller. The address for the data controller of the information you provide or that is collected by Planmycollege or its affiliates is:
ATTN: Privacy Officer
2734 Bayview Dr.
Fremont, CA 94538
Types of Information We Collect and How We Use Your Information
As part of the user experience, you may also exchange information with us that would be part of the personal information we collect. Examples include but are not limited to the following: (1) information provided when you download or use applications from us; (2) information you enter into our system and post as part of using our services (e.g. photos, videos, comments, voice recordings and other multimedia communication materials); (3) information you provide to us when contacting us for help; (4) profile information you provide for your personal user profile (e.g. age, first and last name, picture, image or likeness, phone number, etc.); and (5) data accumulated via our services.
- Specific Use of Personal Information. The information we collect allows us to provide you with a relevant user experience as well as a mechanism to keep you informed on Planmycollege’s latest product announcements, software updates, and promotional information. If you so desire, you can remove yourself from our mailing list by opting out by updating your profile preferences. In order to receive the benefits of the Services offered, your email address is shared with our third-party providers and you shall comply with their sensor registration requirements. However, you may opt out of uploading data to our third-party providers by updating your sensor preferences or by contacting us at email support@Planmycollege.com.
Other uses of personal information may be for validating a user account, fraud prevention, or other data safety precautions Planmycollege may elect to implement. Additionally, we may use personal information for our internal purposes such as data analysis, auditing, and research to improve our services to you.
B. Non-Personal Information and Its Use. Planmycollege collects information that in and of itself does not permit direct association with any specific person. In the case of non-personal information Planmycollege has the right to collect, transfer, use, and disclose this information for any purpose. Examples of non-personal information and its intended use:
- Device related information. We may collect information such as the user device identifier (IDFA), type of mobile device, IP address of your mobile device, mobile operating system, and type of mobile Internet browsers. The device identifier itself may deliver the information to us directly or we may obtain this information via a third-party partner and/or affiliate. We use the information for the express purpose of better understanding customer behavior and improving our products and services.
- User activity with our services. We may collect and store details on how you interact with our services. This may help us improve our service offerings and to provide a better user experience.
- Metadata. Metadata is unique technical data that is generally associated with User Content. Metadata allows one to make their User Content more searchable when interacting with our Service. An example of metadata would be a hashtag or some form of geotag that would allow others to more readily find your submitted content and/or its given location.
C. Location Based Information. Use of the Planmycollege services, permits us to collect precise information about the location of your particular device. Location may include but is not limited to background location information between Users. We may use your location information to provide requested location services and to allow tagging of files. You may opt out by changing your geo-location settings consistent with your device protocol.
- User feedback;
- Requesting services for or on your behalf;
- Users or others providing information in relation to any claim or dispute;
- Planmycollege business partners including those with whom you may create or access your account, such as payment providers, social media users, or websites who use Planmycollege’s APIs or whose API Planmycollege uses;
- Publicly available sources;
- Marketing service providers.
Planmycollege may combine the information gathered from these other sources with other information in its possession.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
"Cookies" are small data files that are sent to your web browser when you access a website, and the files stored on your device's hard drive. We use "session" cookies to keep you logged in while you use the Site, to track your preferences and to track trends and monitor usage and web traffic information on the Site. These are erased when you close your browser. We use "persistent" cookies to relate your use of our Service to other information about you and store information about your preferences to make your user experience consistent and customized. For example, we may create a persistent cookie that includes some basic information about you, like your favorite website locations and whether customer support responded to your inquiry. These cookies stay on your hard drive until you erase them or they expire and associate your information with your account even if you are logged out.
Certain features of the Site may use local shared objects (or "flash cookies"). Flash cookies are small files similar to browser cookies that collect and store information about your preferences and where you browse and what you look at on the Site. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser or device settings that are used for browser cookies. You may adjust your Adobe Flash Player settings to prevent flash cookies from being placed on your hard drive.
We may use "clear GIFs" (aka "web beacons" or "pixel tags") or similar technologies, on our Service or in our communications with you to enable us to know whether you have visited a part of our Service or received a message. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a website or in an email or other type of message, which is retrieved from a remote website on the Internet enabling the verification of an individual's viewing or receipt of a website or message.
We do not automatically collect Personal Information, but we may tie Personal Information with the automatically collected information using the above tools or information collected from other sources.
We may also log information using digital images called web beacons on our Site or in our emails. We may use web beacons to manage cookies, count visits, and to learn what marketing works and what does not. We may also use web beacons to tell if you open or act on our emails.
We also use third party analytics services to collect usage data from our Site in order to help us understand how users are interacting with our Site. Third party analytic services are used to track general location information, and events that occur without our Site, such as how often you use our Site. This information, including your IP address, is transmitted and stored by 3rd parties as determined by us.
IP Address Information and Other Information Collected Automatically
We automatically receive and record log file information from your web browser when you interact with the Site, including your IP address and cookie information. Generally, the Site automatically collects usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to the Site. We may use this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, but not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us and third parties authorized by us to figure out how often individuals use parts of the Service so that we can analyze and improve them.
Third-Party Sites and Services
Planmycollege products, services, and Site may contain links to third-party services (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Google etc.), products, and websites. Information collected by third parties is governed by their privacy policies and practices. We encourage you to read and learn about their specific privacy practices.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
From time-to-time, Planmycollege may make certain personal information available to product and service partners. Specific ways Planmycollege shares with third parties are described below:
A. Third-Party Service Providers. Planmycollege may elect to outsource some of its technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, and other services that it may deem necessary. Examples of the service partners or third-parties we may provide your information to includes but is not limited to our vendors, marketing partners, research firms, and consultants. Additional examples may include:
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Cloud storage providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners.
- Consultants, accountants, lawyers, and other professional service providers.
In these specific instances, we may share information about or from you in order for them to provide their services.
C. Investigations. As described in the Planmycollege Terms and Conditions of Use, Planmycollege reserves the right to provide and/or disclose necessary information for investigatory matters. Examples include but are not limited to: 1) compliance with law enforcement or the necessary legal process; 2) behavior and/or use violative of the Terms and Conditions of Use, and 3) instances whereby it is necessary to protect our rights and obligations.
D. User Request. This includes sharing your information with:
- Planmycollege business partners. For example, we may share your location and/or that of the Planmycollege sensor(s) when you engage the services we may make available to you through our business partners and their affiliates.
E. General public when submitting content to a public forum. Use of our services may enable you communicate with public forums such as Planmycollege blogs, social media, and features that may be offered with our services. If you communicate with use via these channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
F. With your consent. Planmycollege may share your information other than as we have described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Storage of Your Information
The information you provide Planmycollege may be collected through our services and processed in the United States or any other country in which Planmycollege, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or service providers maintain facilities.
In turn, Planmycollege uses commercially reasonable standards, measures and/or protocol to keep the information collected through the Service secure and as a result we take cautionary steps to verify your identify before granting you Service access. Moreover, Planmycollege cannot ensure the security of any information submitted or transmitted by you to Planmycollege nor can we guarantee that said information may not be disclosed, destroyed, and/or altered.
Protection of Personal Information
Planmycollege preserves the security of your personal information with the utmost caution. As such, we follow the generally accepted industry standards to protect all user information submitted to us. Although we implement accepted industry standards, we cannot guarantee absolute security with respect to your personal information. Given the fact that no one method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device is 100% secure, we urge you to take the utmost care when transmitting personal information.
When you use some of the features of the Planmycollege services, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. Please take care when using these features.
Data Retention and Deletion
Planmycollege will retain your personal information for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Planmycollege thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information with applicable laws. Users may request deletion of their account at any time. Following such request, Planmycollege deletes the information that it is not required to retain and restricts to or use of an information it is required to retain. You may request deletion of your account by contacting us here at support@Planmycollege.com.
Parents have a right to review the information we have collected about their children, respectively, and to delete it, and to tell us to stop using it. To exercise these rights, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be required to authenticate yourself as the child’s parent to receive information about that child. Please note that copies of information may remain in cached or archived form on our systems after you request us to delete it.
Planmycollege may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, if Planmycollege shuts down a user’s account, Planmycollege may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Planmycollege account in the future.
Access to Personal Information
In order to ensure that your personal information is current and accurate, please log in to your account using Planmycollege app and go to user profile.
Planmycollege is aware of the importance of protecting the privacy and safety of children who may use our services. In that regard, we do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. In the event a child’s parent and/or legal guardian becomes aware that their child has provided us with information without their consent, please contact us immediately at email@example.com. Once notified, we will delete the information as soon as reasonably possible.
California residents may choose to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes or choose to opt out of such disclosure. To make a request or to opt out at any time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or the other contact information provided below. Our policy is not to disclose Personal Information collected online to a third party for directing marketing without your approval.
Planmycollege uses Stripe, PayPal and Nihaopay as its third-party service provider for payment services (e.g. card acceptance, merchant settlement, and related services). By purchasing any features or products, you agree to be bound by Stripe (https://stripe.com/us/legal), PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full), and Nihaopay (https://nihaopay.com/170328_nihaopay_terms_of_service.pdf) and hereby consent and authorize Planmycollege and Stripe, PayPal to share any information and payments instructions you provide with Stripe, PayPal and other third-party service provider(s) to the minimum extent required to complete your transactions.
Customer Credit Card Information: Planmycollege uses a third-party processor to keep a protected copy of your credit card number. This billing data belongs to you, and by utilizing the Service, you grant Planmycollege a license to use this data to bill you for services rendered.
ATTN: Privacy Officer
2734 Bayview Dr.
Fremont, CA 94538
Special Information for EU Users
Beginning May 25, 2018, the processing of personal data of users in the European Union is subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). This section summarizes Planmycollege’s grounds for processing personal information under the GDPR, and the rights of EU users as relates to Planmycollege’s handling of personal information. This section provides information as relates to EU users' rights, and Planmycollege's responsibilities, under this regulation.
A. EU User Rights
If you are an Planmycollege user in the EU, you have the following rights with respect to Planmycollege's handling of your personal information. To exercise these rights, please see below or submit your request at support@Planmycollege.com.
Users outside the EU may also request explanation, correction, deletion or copies of their personal data by contacting us at support@Planmycollege.com.
- Explanation and copies of your data
- You have the right to request an explanation of the information that Planmycollege has about you and how Planmycollege uses that information.
- You also have the right to receive a copy of the information that Planmycollege collects about you if collected on the basis of consent or because Planmycollege requires the information to provide the services that you request.
- If Planmycollege has information about you that you believe is inaccurate, you have the right to request correction of your information. Please see the section titled “Explanation, Copies and Correction” below for more information on correcting, or requesting correction of, your information.
- Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Users may request via Planmycollege's website at support@Planmycollege.com. We may retain certain information about you as required by law and for legitimate business purposes permitted by law.
- Please see the “Data Retention & Deletion” section above for more information regarding Planmycollege's retention and deletion practices.
- Objections and complaints
- Users in the EU have the right to object to Planmycollege's processing of personal data, including for marketing purposes based on profiling and/or automated decision making. Planmycollege may continue to process your information notwithstanding the objection to the extent permitted under GDPR.
- You may also submit questions, comments or complaints to
Planmycollege directly at:
ATTN: Privacy Officer
2734 Bayview Dr.
Fremont, CA 94538
B. Grounds for Processing
The GDPR requires that companies processing the personal data of EU users do so on the basis of specific legal grounds. As described below, Planmycollege processes the information of EU users based on one or more of the grounds specified under the GDPR:
- The processing is necessary to provide the services and
features you request
- Planmycollege must collect and use certain information in order
to provide its services. This includes:
- User profile information that is necessary to establish and maintain your account, including to verify your identity; enable communications with you about the products you order from us, orders and accounts; and to enable you to make payments.
- Planmycollege sensor locations which will enable you to use the services with us and/or our service partners.
- Usage information, which is necessary to maintain, optimize and enhance Planmycollege's services, including to determine, sometimes in combination with other information, incentives, etc.
- Collection and use of this information is a requirement for using Planmycollege's website and services.
- Planmycollege must collect and use certain information in order to provide its services. This includes:
- The processing is necessary to protect the vital
interests of our users or of others
- Planmycollege may process personal information, including disclosing data with law enforcement authorities in case of threats to the safety of users or of others.
- The processing is necessary for Planmycollege's
- Planmycollege collects and uses personal information to the
extent necessary for its legitimate interests. This includes
collecting and using information:
- To prevent, detect and combat fraud in connection with the use of our services. For example, Planmycollege uses user profile, location, device and usage information, to identify and prevent circumstances when users attempt to defraud Planmycollege or other users.
- To inform law enforcement officials regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety.
- To provide customer support.
- To optimize our service and develop new services.
- For research and analytical purposes. This includes, for example, analyzing usage trends to improve the user experience and enhance the safety and security of our services.
- For direct marketing purposes. This includes, for example, analyzing data to identify trends and tailor marketing messages to user needs.
- To enforce Planmycollege's Terms of Service.
- Planmycollege collects and uses personal information to the extent necessary for its legitimate interests. This includes collecting and using information:
- The processing is necessary for the legitimate
interests of other persons or parties
- Planmycollege collects and uses personal information to the extent necessary for the interests of other persons or the general public. This includes sharing information in connection with legal or insurance claims, to protect the rights and safety of others.
- Planmycollege may also process personal information when necessary in regard to a substantial public interest, on the basis of applicable laws.
- The processing is necessary to fulfill Planmycollege's
- Planmycollege is subject to legal requirements in the jurisdictions in which it operates that require us to collect, process, disclose and retain your personal data. For example, Planmycollege is subject to laws and regulations in many cities and countries that require it to collect and retain information about the Planmycollege products, to retain such information for extended periods of time, and to provide copies of such information to governmental or other authorities. Planmycollege uses your information to comply with such laws to the extent they apply to your use of the Planmycollege apps.
- Planmycollege may also share information with law enforcement, or requests by third parties pursuant to legal processes. For more information about such sharing, please see
- Planmycollege may collect and use your information on the basis of your consent. You may revoke your consent at any time. If you revoke your consent, you will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of the information we collected or used on the basis of consent.
- Planmycollege relies on consent in connection with data
collections or uses that are necessary to enhance the user
experience, to enable optional services or features, or to
communicate with you. If you are an EU user, the following types of
data collections or uses are done on the basis of your consent:
- Location Information (Users and Planmycollege products)
- Notifications: Account Updates
- Notifications: Discounts and News
- Address Book / Contacts
- Please see the Choice & Transparency section below for further information about these data collections and uses, how to opt in or out of them, and the effect of opting out of these on your use of Planmycollege's apps.
- Planmycollege may also collect personal information about you through voluntary surveys. Your responses to such surveys are collected on the basis of consent and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
Choice and Transparency
Planmycollege provides means for you to see and control the information that Planmycollege collects, including through:
- device permissions
- marketing opt-outs
You may also request that Planmycollege provide you with explanation, copies or correction of your data.
A. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that websites cannot access without your consent. And these platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Planmycollege website wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Planmycollege website seeks before you first use the website, and your use of the website constitutes your consent.
B. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that Planmycollege:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information Planmycollege has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Receive a copy of the information Planmycollege has collected about you.
- Request correction of any inaccurate information that Planmycollege has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting Planmycollege at support@Planmycollege.com.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in Planmycollege's website You can also look up your transactions, history, etc. in the Planmycollege website.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Planmycollege at support@Planmycollege.com. You may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from Planmycollege by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as receipts for your rides or information about your account.